Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to the most frequently asked questions about the new Rode Heath Pre-School:
- "If my child/ren attend the pre-school will they be guaranteed a Reception class place?" Unfortunately, attending our pre-school will not guarantee a school place at Rode Heath Primary School for your child/ren. School applications must be completed through your “home” Local Authority as usual; you cannot apply through Rode Heath Primary School for a school place with us. (Links to Cheshire East and Staffordshire Admissions can be found here.)
- "How many pre-school places are there?" There are 26 places available in the morning and 16 in the afternoon. If there is demand for more than 16 places in the afternoon sessions then we will try to increase resources so that we can accommodate the additional children.
- "When can my child start pre-school?" Admissions will be in the term following your child/ren’s 3rd birthday. We have in-takes in September, January and April.
- "Who will work in the pre-school?" A qualified, highly-experienced early years teacher leads the pre-school environment every morning and plans for the afternoon sessions; these sessions are then led by an early years practitioner.
- "When will the pre-school operate?" The pre-school operates daily between 9am and 3pm, 39 calendar weeks a year, i.e. term time only, less the 5 statutory INSET days. Morning sessions run from 9:00am – 12:00pm and afternoon sessions run from 12:00pm to 3:00pm.
- "Will my child be able to have lunch at pre-school?" If your child is only booked in for a morning session then there will be no provision for lunch. If your child/ren are booked in for the afternoon session (as well) then they can either bring in a packed lunch from home or pay to have a school meal. During their time in Pre-school they will eat their lunch in the pre-school room, shortly before they start their transition to Reception the chidren will join the older children in the main school hall for their lunch.
- "What if I need care outside of these hours?" You can book your child/ren into our Before and After-School Club (our "OOH Club") which allows care and education to be extended from 7:30am to 6:00pm.
- "My child/ren are currently in a private day care from 7:30am to 5:30pm, do you effectively match that?" Yes! You just need to complete 2 separate booking forms – one for the pre-school and one for the Before and After-School Club (“OOH Club") according to the hours that you need.
- "If the pre-school is only open for 38 weeks each year what can I do for the rest of the time?" The school holiday club extends provision to 46 weeks each year, i.e. the holiday club opens from 7:30am to 6:00pm each day during the October, February and May half-terms, for one week over the Christmas and the Easter periods and for the first and last week of the summer holidays.
- "How much will it cost for additional hours above my 15 free hour weekly entitlement?" An additional morning or afternoon session will be £15.00.
- "Do I have to use all my free hours in the mornings? What if I wanted my child/ren to attend in the afternoon(s) – would they still be classed as “free” to me?" As long as you are booking in 3 hour blocks, either 9:00am - 12:00pm or 12:00pm - 3:00pm, then you can use your free hours entitlement however you choose.
- "Can I register now, even if my child/ren will not be old enough to start pre-school until September 2016?" Yes! Just complete a registration form now and we will get in touch with you 3 months before your child/ren would be due to start to confirm you booking. Of course, you are free to make a firm booking ahead of this if you are able to do so. Please make sure you inform us if your contact details change in the meantime.
- "Will there be a uniform?" Children can wear our school jumpers if you choose, but as we cannot guarantee your child/ren will go on to secure a school place at Rode Heath Primary School it is entirely optional.
- "Can we have a look around the pre-school and school?" Of course! The school day is always a busy one however, and as such we cannot generally accommodate unscheduled requests to have a look around. However, you are always more than welcome to arrange a visit to tour the school and pre-school to see us all in action - please get in touch with Mrs Powell via the office if you would like to do so.
- "If I register my child/ren for the pre-school now, can I change my booking later?" Yes, although we cannot guarantee that places will necessarily still be available. Complete a booking form now with your provisional requirements and we will get in touch 3 months in advance of your child/ren’s start date to turn these into a firm booking. If you know your needs have changed in the meantime please get in touch with us!
- "How far in advance do I need to book?" Pre-school places need to be booked at least termly in advance, annually ideally, whereas Before and After-School Club places only need to be booked a month ahead.
- "How much will holiday club cost?" Our Holiday Club runs from 8am - 5:00pm at a daily rate of £24.00
- "How would I pay for my child/ren’s pre-school and Before/After-School Club fees?" Payments can be made using the school’s online payment system. You will be registered to use the systems when your child/ren’s pre-school place is confirmed.
- "What if my employer gives me childcare vouchers, will you accept these?" Yes, just let us know which childcare voucher provider your employer uses and we will set everything up.
- "If my child is already settled in a private nursery for their funded sessions, can they still come to Rode Heath Pre-School or the Before and After-School Club for extra sessions?" Absolutely, we would love to see them! We just ask that your child/ren attend a minimum of 2 pre-school sessions each week (to allow for continuity of care with an assigned key-worker). You can then bolt on Before and After-School Club sessions on those days.
- "What will happen on INSET days and Bank Holidays?" The Holiday Club will operate on INSET days and as with other school and private childcare providers, we will be closed on Bank Holidays. You will not be charged if your child/ren’s usual days fall on a Bank Holiday.
- "Can I ever make a one-off, last minute booking?" Yes, of course - if we have capacity within our headcount ratio for that day.