Year 5 2023 - 2024
I am delighted to be joining Rode Heath Primary! I have previously spent two years working in Stoke-on-Trent. I have predominantly taught in KS2, and this will be my second year in Year 5. I am a Geography enthusiast and I enjoy sharing my love of the outdoors with the pupils that I teach! I strive to create a learning environment where all children feel that they can succeed.
Outside of school I enjoy horse-riding, and regularly compete in dressage and show jumping competitions with my horse, Rum.
Welcome to Year 5
Please note that our P.E days in the Autumn term will be Tuesday (Gymnastics) and Friday (Outdoor/yoga). Children can come to school wearing their P.E. kits on both days.
Welcome to Year 5! We have lots planned for this term, mostly linked to our topic of Space! This term will even include a trip to the National Space Centre! Some of the exciting things we are going to cover this term are:
- Art- painting in the style of Peter Thorpe
- History- exploring the Space Race and how animals went into Space
- Design and Technology- creating a salad suitable for an astronaut
- Computing- exploring how to use microbits
To see our full curriculum map of all the things we will be learning please see the bottom of the page.
We are very much aware of the importance of ensuring the children are happy, safe and secure in school and to help us do this, we will be following our Hearts and Minds curriculum. More information about our Hearts and Minds curriculum and our weekly Hearts and Mind planning can be found using this link: Hearts and Minds.
Here are a few important organisational weekly reminders:
- Please ensure your child is filling in their reading diary on a daily basis
- Practise timestables on a daily basis using Times Table Rockstars and practise spellings regularly
- Please come to school wearing your PE kit on a Tuesday and Friday. Some of these sessions will be outside so please wear appropriate outdoor kit (tracksuit bottoms/ leggings and a jumper/ tracksuit top). You must wear school agreed PE kits. If you are unsure of this then please refer to the newsletters or ask me directly in the morning or via the school office.
- Maths and English homework will be given out on a Friday to be completed and handed in the following Friday. Spelling homework will be given on a Friday, to be completed for the following Friday.
Here is a link to the book that I recommend you purchasing to help your child with the Upper Key Stage Two grammar, punctuation and spelling expectations:
Renaissance Link for reading click here.
In order to find year group expectations for maths, please click here, scroll down and click on the overview.
For year group expectations for English, please click here, scroll down and click on the overview.
The expectations for science and the foundation subjects can be found by selecting the relevant heading from here.
Continuing the learning journey 1/12/23
Maths: We will be learning how to divide numbers by 10, 100 and 1000.
English: We will be writing speech sandwiches between Hrothgar and Beowulf, using dialogue to build character and setting.
Science: We will be completing our Science composite tasks on the Moon Hotel!
Hearts and Minds: We will be learning about Pants are Private.
PE: On Tuesday's we will be doing Gymnastics and on Friday's we will be doing outdoor P.E (or Yoga in the case of inclement weather).
Music: Our focus for this week will be on learning songs for the Christmas Carol Service.
RE: We will be thinking about why some people call Jesus the Messiah.
Spanish: We will be doing Spanish on Thursday afternoons with Senora Potts.
History: We will be looking at the Space Race and how Space exploration has changed over time.
Geography: We will be learning about what life is like in the Alps.
Computing: We will be learning about microbits and how to programme them.
Don't forget to visit our Think Like an Engineer website regularly, to see what we're all busy doing: