Year 2 2023 - 2024
I have been at Rode Heath for 12 years now and this is my 6th year teaching in year two. I thoroughly enjoy the challenges of year two and helping to prepare the children for their transition into KS2.
Out of school I have two teenage boys which keep me very busy and we are enjoying getting to know our new puppy Loki and keeping him out of mischief.
I enjoy watching my boys play cricket and more recently football for my eldest. I enjoy following the Formula 1 schedule and if I do find sometime for myself I enjoy Zumba, running, catching up with friends, watching a good TV drama or curling up with a good book.
I have volunteered at Rode Heath in the past, across the Key Stages, and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
Outside of school I am a leader at Beaver Scouts in the local village. I have two boys and we love adventuring, riding bikes, paddle boarding and reading. I also love photography so I take lots of photos of what we get up to.
I am absolutely thrilled to be in Year 2 this year with your fantastic children.
This term our new class text is 'The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark' written by Jill Tomlinson.
Please see our curriculum map for all of the other wonderful things we have planned over the year.
At Rode Heath we follow our Maths No Problem scheme of work for maths which begins with a real-life problem to show the children why maths is so important in their everyday lives. This scheme starts in year one and we will build on the areas covered to ensure the children have a real depth of understanding.
Of course there will be plenty of opportunities for Art, Design & Technology, Computing, Music, PE, RE, History, Geography and even French in year 2!
Alongside all of this, we are very much aware of the importance of ensuring the children are happy, safe and secure in school and to help us do this, we will be following our Hearts & Minds curriculum. More information about our Hearts & Minds curriculum and our weekly planning can be found using this link: Hearts & Minds
Continuing the learning journey at home...
Week beginning - Monday 27th November 2023
- Phonics - Miss Moss' Group - Phase 5c Week 11 Alternative Spellings of 'igh' & 'f'.Tricky words for reading & spelling: very, I'm, by, time, some, come, who & were.
- Mrs Cosgrove's Group - Phase 5c Week 14 Alternative Spellings of the 'oo' & 'n' sounds. Tricky words for reading & spelling: old, don't, water, there, where & again.
- Continue with our new class text - The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark.
- To turn adjectives into adverbs and use these in sentences to write a description.
- Addition - add a 1-digit number to a 2-digit number, with renaming of ones.
- Materials - Investigating how materials can be shaped
History / Geography:
- Geography - Would you prefer to live in a hot or cold place?
DT / Art:
- Art - Yayoi Kusama Pumpkin Drawings
- How do some Christians use music to express gratitude?
- Digital Literacy - How does IT improve our world?
Hearts & Minds:
- Meet your Brain
- West African call and response song - (Theme: Animals)
- KS1 Production - songs to perform
- Dance (Tuesdays) - long hair tied back and no jewellery please.
- Games (Wednesdays) - indoors or outdoors - weather depending so warmer kits please.
Please send your child to school in their PE kit on these days. Their coloured 'house' t-shirt, school or plain jogging/tracksuit bottoms or shorts (shorts are best for gym days), trainers or pumps and a Rode Heath hoodie or plain hoodie / zip-up jacket. You may wish to send an extra water bottle on these days.
Please listen to your child read and help them to fill in their reading diaries.
Phonics homework was sent home this week, there was no maths sent home. This week phonics and maths will come home. We are on the week 1 cycle for maths so orange books will come home. These are due to be completed by Wednesday at the latest please so that I have time to check them, before setting the next piece.
Every week we will send phonics homework which will consolidate the learning from that week. Maths will be on a two week cycle.
Week 1 maths will be written maths sent in the orange maths books and Week 2 activities will be set on Education City.
Log in details for Education City & Numbots/TTRS are stuck inside your child's reading diary.
- Please sign all of the relevant pages in your child's reading diary
- Please ensure book bags, books and reading diaries are in school daily.
- Please send your child with a snack for morning break if they are not purchasing toast from school. Please no sweets, lollies or nuts including nutella based products.
- Please ensure your child has a water bottle in school everyday but please avoid putting this in bags as we've had some soggy books lately.
- Please read our class curriculum map in our files below to find out about our learning over the year.
- Please help your child to use our new maths program Numbots - log ins are stuck in your child's reading diary.
- If your child has a Nessy login and letter, please help them to use this program at home. (These will be sent home in due course.)
In order to find year group expectations for maths, please click here, scroll down and click on the overview.
For year group expectations for English, please click here, scroll down and click on the overview.
The expectations for science and the foundation subjects can be found by selecting the relevant heading from here.
Tuesday 12th December 2pm KS1 Production (Ticketed Event)
Wednesday 13th December 6pm KS1 Production (Ticketed Event)
Please email our admin staff for urgent messages or pass these to a member of the KS1 team on the door.
Alternatively, you can write a note in your child's reading diary but please remember these will be checked on a weekly basis and therefore more important messages should be sent to our admin team who will forward these on.
Thank you for your support, I am looking forward to getting to know you all.
Don't forget to visit our Think Like an Engineer website regularly to see what we're all busy doing: