Year 2 2022 - 2023
I have been at Rode Heath for 11 years now and this is my fifth year teaching in year two. I thoroughly enjoy the challenges of year two and helping to prepare the children for their transition into KS2.
Out of school I have two teenage boys which keep me busy and very much entertained! We enjoy our time as a family whether this be watching cricket games, following the Formula 1 schedule, bike riding or walking. If I do find sometime for myself I enjoy Zumba, running, catching up with friends, watching a good TV drama or curling up with a good book.
I have volunteered at Rode Heath in the past, across the Key Stages, and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
Outside of school I am a leader at Beaver Scouts in the local village. I have two boys and we love adventuring, riding bikes, paddle boarding and reading. I also love photography so I take lots of photos of what we get up to.
I am absolutely thrilled to be in Year 2 this year with your fantastic children.
Welcome to Year Two!
We have some exciting topics planned throughout year two and can't wait to get started with our 'Journeys' topic this term.
We will begin our topic by reading books about journeys by the authors Julia Donaldson and Oliver Jeffers before finding out about a very famous journey! Please see our topic web for all of the other wonderful things we have planned.
At Rode Heath we follow our Maths No Problem scheme of work for maths which begins with a real-life problem to show the children why maths is so important in their everyday lives. This scheme starts in year one and we will build on the areas covered to ensure the children have a real depth of understanding.
Of course there will be plenty of opportunities for Art, Design & Technology, Computing, Music, PE, RE, History, Geography and even French in year 2!
Alongside all of this, we are very much aware of the importance of ensuring the children are happy, safe and secure in school and to help us do this, we will be following our Hearts & Minds curriculum. More information about our Hearts & Minds curriculum and our weekly planning can be found using this link: Hearts & Minds
Continuing the learning journey at home...
Week beginning - Monday 5th December 2022
- Phonics - Miss Moss' Group - Phase 5b Alternative Pronunciation of 'ea', 'er' & 'y'. Tricky words for reading & spelling: would, could, should, Mr & Mrs. Mrs Cosgrove's Group - Phase 5c Alternative Spellings Week 12 'oa' & 'm' phonemes. Tricky words for reading & spelling: would, could, should, Mr & Mrs.
- Christmas Production - learning our lines & rehearsing
- Writing about our part in the Christmas Production.
- Consolidation of place value
- Addition & Subtraction
- All living things and their habitats - How is my chosen animal suited to its habitat?
History / Geography:
- Can I locate Rode Heath and New York using Google Earth, globes and world maps?
Art / DT:
- Yayoi Kusama - Writing about Yayoi and her life.
- Clay sculpture - adding detail to our painted pumpkins.
- Observational drawing of a pumpkin
- Christianity & The Bible - What is the Bible? Who uses it? Why is the Bible special to Christians?
- Friends Online
Hearts & Minds:
- Pants are Private - follow up
- Equality & Diversity: No Outsiders. Can I join your club? by John Kelly.
- Happy Minds - Meet your brain
- Gymnastics (Tuesdays) - long hair tied back and no jewellery please. (No gym this week 6.12.22 due to the Christmas performance)
- Ball Skills / Invasion Games (Fridays)
Please send your child to school in their PE kit on these days. Their coloured 'house' t-shirt, school or plain jogging/tracksuit bottoms or shorts (shorts are best for gym days), trainers or pumps and a Rode Heath hoodie or plain hoodie / zip-up jacket. You may wish to send an extra water bottle on these days.
Please listen to your child read and help them to fill in their reading diaries.
Phonics & maths homework was sent home on Friday and is due in by Wednesday at the latest please. This will give me time to mark each piece before sending books home again this Friday. Maths Week 1 cycle - activities in our orange books. Some children are yet to complete their Education City tasks from last week.
Our maths homework will consolidate class learning, Week 1 Maths will be sent in the orange maths books and Week 2 activities set on Education City. Log in details are in your child's reading diary if you could help them to log in and access the activities.
- Please fill in all relevant sections of your child's reading diary when these are sent home. One is the publication of images consent form and two forms regarding standards of behaviour to be signed by your child and one to be signed by a parent/carer.
- Please ensure book bags, books and reading diaries are in school daily.
- Please send your child with a snack for morning break if they are not purchasing toast from school. Please no sweets, lollies or nuts including nutella based products.
- Please ensure your child has a water bottle in school everyday.
- Please read our class topic web in our files below to find out about our learning this term.
- Please help your child to use our new maths program Numbots - log ins are stuck in your child's reading diary. Times Table Rock Stars is also ready for all children to use. Just choose TTRS rather than Numbots and use the same log in details that you would use for Numbots.
- If your child has a Nessy login and letter, please help them to use this program at home.
Tuesday 6th December 1.45pm Our first performance of our Christmas Production. We will be holding a raffle on this day and you are able to order group photographs of the children dressed in their costumes. Cash only please. You will be able to collect your child as normal from their classroom door as soon as they have changed after the performance.
Wednesday 7th December 6.15pm Our final performance of our Christmas Production. Please have your child back to school for 5.45pm in their full school uniform including black school shoes so that they can wear these during the performance. After the performance, we will bring your child to you once they are changed.
(All tickets have now been issued so if you havent received yours then please speak to one of our KS1 team).
We also have the sports coaches in school completing our Amaven testing but NO PE kit is needed for Y2 as they can complete their tasks in their school uniform.
Friday 9th December Our whole school pantomime day - children can come to school wearing their uniform with the addition of a christmas jumper.
Please email our admin staff for urgent messages or pass these to a member of the KS1 team on the door.
Alternatively, you can write a note in your child's reading diary but please remember these will be checked on a weekly basis and therefore more important messages should be sent to our admin team who will forward these on.
Thank you for your support, I am looking forward to getting to know you all.
Don't forget to visit our Think Like an Engineer website regularly to see what we're all busy doing: