Year 2 2022 - 2023
I have been at Rode Heath for 11 years now and this is my fifth year teaching in year two. I thoroughly enjoy the challenges of year two and helping to prepare the children for their transition into KS2.
Out of school I have two teenage boys which keep me busy and very much entertained! We enjoy our time as a family whether this be watching cricket games, following the Formula 1 schedule, bike riding or walking. If I do find sometime for myself I enjoy Zumba, running, catching up with friends, watching a good TV drama or curling up with a good book.
I have volunteered at Rode Heath in the past, across the Key Stages, and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
Outside of school I am a leader at Beaver Scouts in the local village. I have two boys and we love adventuring, riding bikes, paddle boarding and reading. I also love photography so I take lots of photos of what we get up to.
I am absolutely thrilled to be in Year 2 this year with your fantastic children.
Finally, we will be having our Titanic Themed Tea Party this Monday which will close our Titanic topic. We can't wait to see your wonderful costume ideas. We will complete Our Amazing World topic this week too ready to get stuck into our Llandudno Topic after our wonderful residential.
Please see our topic web for all of the other wonderful things we have planned.
At Rode Heath we follow our Maths No Problem scheme of work for maths which begins with a real-life problem to show the children why maths is so important in their everyday lives. This scheme starts in year one and we will build on the areas covered to ensure the children have a real depth of understanding.
Of course there will be plenty of opportunities for Art, Design & Technology, Computing, Music, PE, RE, History, Geography and even French in year 2!
Alongside all of this, we are very much aware of the importance of ensuring the children are happy, safe and secure in school and to help us do this, we will be following our Hearts & Minds curriculum. More information about our Hearts & Minds curriculum and our weekly planning can be found using this link: Hearts & Minds
Continuing the learning journey at home...
Week beginning - Monday 22nd May 2023
- Phonics - Miss Moss' Group - Phase 5c Alternative Spellings Week 18 /ar/ & /s/ phonemes. Tricky words for reading & spelling: many, laughed, because & different.
- Mrs Cosgrove's Group - Phase 5c Alternative Spellings Week 23 /or/ & /w/ phonemes. Tricky words for reading & spelling: please, little, one & do
- We will also be completing SPaG (Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar) activities within and alongside our phonics sessions.
- Assessments in SPaG
- Titanic themed activities
- Word Problems
- Assessments in Arithmetic & Reasoning
- Titanic themed Science
History / Geography:
- Who was to blame for the sinking of the Titanic?
DT / Art:
- Expressive Painting & Colour Mixing
- Can I use various homemade tools to apply paint in abstract patterns?
- Easter Story Composite Task
- What symbols are used in Christianity and what do they symbolise?
- Scratch Project 8 - Meet and Greet
Hearts & Minds:
- E-safety - eAWARE
- Happy Minds
- Dance (Tuesdays) - long hair tied back and no jewellery please.
- Games (Fridays) - indoors or outdoors - weather depending so warmer kits please.
Please send your child to school in their PE kit on these days. Their coloured 'house' t-shirt, school or plain jogging/tracksuit bottoms or shorts (shorts are best for gym days), trainers or pumps and a Rode Heath hoodie or plain hoodie / zip-up jacket. You may wish to send an extra water bottle on these days.
Please listen to your child read and help them to fill in their reading diaries.
No homework was sent home due to our residential. No homework will be sent this week due to it being half term. Phonics and maths homework will be sent home the first Friday after half term and is due in by Wednesday at the latest please. This will give me time to mark each piece before sending the next piece home again this Friday.
Our maths homework will consolidate class learning, Week 1 Maths will be sent in the orange maths books and Week 2 activities set on Education City. Log in details are in your child's reading diary if you could help them to log in and access the activities.
- Please ensure book bags, books and reading diaries are in school daily.
- Please send your child with a snack for morning break if they are not purchasing toast from school. Please no sweets, lollies or nuts including nutella based products.
- Please ensure your child has a water bottle in school everyday.
- Please read our class topic web in our files below to find out about our learning this term.
- Please help your child to use our new maths program Numbots - log ins are stuck in your child's reading diary. Times Table Rock Stars is also ready for all children to use. Just choose TTRS rather than Numbots and use the same log in details that you would use for Numbots.
- If your child has a Nessy login and letter, please help them to use this program at home.
Year 2 Titanic Tea Themed Day - Monday 22nd May
Please email our admin staff for urgent messages or pass these to a member of the KS1 team on the door.
Alternatively, you can write a note in your child's reading diary but please remember these will be checked on a weekly basis and therefore more important messages should be sent to our admin team who will forward these on.
Thank you for your support, I am looking forward to getting to know you all.
Don't forget to visit our Think Like an Engineer website regularly to see what we're all busy doing: