Reception 2023 - 2024
I have worked at Rode Heath School for many years now, mainly in KS1. I am excited to be working in Reception for the third time this year. I thoroughly enjoy being part of all of the exciting learning opportunities which Rode Heath has to offer. Outside of school I love to go exploring outdoors with my two children Archie and Elsie.
I have been working with young children for over 20 years and am passionate about giving them the best possible start to school life by learning through creative and meaningful contexts. As a Forest School teacher I love taking learning outside the classroom and introducing children to new skills, such as den building, tree climbing, campfire cookery and caring for our woodland environment.
We're starting our topic for this term, which is All About Me. You can find an overview at the bottom of this page in the Files to Download section and we update our 'Continuing the Learning Journey..' section every week to keep you up to date with what we will be learning in class.
Routines, Reminders & Messages
- Phonics Reading Books - your child will bring home 2 x 'Phonics' reading books that match the sounds learned in phonics lessons. It is important for the children to re-read the books (at least 3 times) at home to help them become more fluent, begin to recognise words and to feel successful as a reader. We encourage the children to read once to sound out and blend all of the words, a second time to remember and begin to read a little more confidently and a third time to help their understanding of the book and be able to talk about it. Please ensure all books and the reading diary are kept in your child's book bag and brought in to school every day as we also read them in class. Books will be changed every Monday - we have very limited supplies of books so please ensure they are in school and availiable to be passed on to the next child.
- 'Reading for Pleasure' books - These are lovely books for you to share with your child at home - your child is not expected to be able to read these for themselves but they are wonderful as a bedtime story or snuggling up on the sofa to read together. These books are also changed every Monday.
- Reading Diary - Please record in the diary each time you read with your child. We will make a note of when we have read in school too. You can use the diary to pass notes to us but please remember that they are not checked daily. If your message is urgent or very important then please telephone or email the school office instead.
- Home Learning is sent home every Friday. Please ensure it is completed and returned by the following Wednesday, when we will collect in the home learning books.
- PE will be on Wednesdays until half-term. You should wear your PE kit to school and pumps / trainers (no laces please
- Tapestry - we use this to share some of your child's learning. If your child attended our Pre-School then your existing login details are still valid. If you are new to Rode Heath then please look out for an email with instructions on how to get started. As always, please let us know if you have any problems.
We continue to focus on making sure that children are happy, safe and secure in school. We follow our Hearts and Minds curriculum to ensure the children's personal, social and emotional development is central to our practice. More information about our Hearts and Minds curriculum and the weekly Hearts and Mind planning can be found using this link: Hearts and Minds.
In order to find year group expectations for maths, please click here, scroll down and click on the overview.
For year group expectations for English, please click here, scroll down and click on the overview.
The expectations for science and the foundation subjects can be found by selecting the relevant heading from here.
Continuing the Learning Journey at Home
Week Commencing : Monday 2nd October 2023
This week we are learning the letters m and d. We will learn to recognise the letters and know the sound they make, we will listen for these sounds in words and we will practise forming them correctly. We will also begin to blend sounds to read short words containing letters we have learned.
Pure Sounds - We teach the children to use 'pure' sounds (the sounds that letters make in words) Click on the pictures below to hear the 'pure' sounds for Phase 2 and Phase 3 phonic sounds.
This week we will continue writing our namesn practise forming the letters s, a, t , p, i, n, m and d correctly and begin to segment sounds to write simple words.
Letter Formation - Click on the pictures below to see the correct formation for each letter of the alphabet.
This week we are working on subitising quantities to 4 - recognising the quantity in a group without having to count each object.
Personal, Social & Emotional Development:
We are continuing to explore our feelings, beginning to understand the reasons for some of our emotions and developing some coping strategies.
Understanding the World:
We will be learning about Autumn and looking for some signs of Autumn within our school grounds.
We have another cricket sessions this week and continue to explore some of the new physical equipment in our outdoor area.
Expressive Arts & Design:
We will be exploring the different marks we can make with paint, using our finger as a tool.
Don't forget to visit our Think Like an Engineer website regularly to see what we're all busy doing:
Our door is always open, please come and see us with any concerns, no matter how small you feel they may be.
If you are worried about how to keep your child safe online, please follow the following link:.