Continue the learning journey at home with...
Jolly Phonics is a fun and child-centred approach to teaching literacy through synthetic phonics. With actions for each of the 42 letter sounds, the multi-sensory method is very motivating for children - and for teachers who can see their students achieve!
The letter sounds are split into seven groups as shown below, and are taught in a specific order (not alphabetically). This enables children to begin building words as early as possible.
Using a synthetic phonics approach, Jolly Phonics teaches children the five key skills for reading and writing. The programme continues through school enabling the teaching of essential grammar, spelling and punctuation skills:
- LEARNING THE LETTER SOUNDS: Children are taught the 42 main letter sounds. This includes alphabet sounds as well as digraphs such as "sh", "th", "ai" and "ue";
- LEARNING LETTER FORMATION: Using different multi-sensory methods, children learn how to form and write the letters;
- BLENDING: Children are taught how to blend the sounds together to read and write new words;
- IDENTIFYING THE WORDS (SEGMENTING): Listening for the sounds in words gives children the best start for improving spelling;
- TRICKY WORDS: Tricky words have irregular spellings and children learn these separately.